Saturday, February 13, 2010

Our First Fasching


Fasching. I don't really know anything about it, but here is what I have gathered (without googling.) It is like a German Mardi Gras, it seems to go on for about a week on Thursday it was Women's Day, where apparently all of the women all go out partying and if they see a man with a tie on they cut it off. Thursday, Tess came home with her face all done up with paint and sparkles, compliments of one of her teachers, Frau Butz (pronounced boots.)
Friday, her school celebrated with their own Faschingfest! We found out about the party several weeks ago and being the very American parents, her teachers were quick to set us straight. When they told us about the party they explained that it would have a "Magic" theme and she would "dress up as something magical, no cowboys and no pricesses" = Nothing the American's might choose on their own. I gave her the deer in headlights look and she said "Tess will be a fairy." Good I can't mess that up.

Last week was the sign-up for what each person would bring for the party. Since they only speak German at her school, it is a big success if I figure out what we are supposed to be doing. The bulletin board for the parents frequently has signs posted that say "Lieb Eltern," which means "Parents" then a lot of Deutsch that I can't read. So I memorize or jot down what I think the main words are, go home translate the best that I can and then return that afternoon and just ask for clarification. By the time I returned to the sign-up for what to bring , the only opening was for "zwergentoastturmchen" so, I had to go back home and google what the heck that is. The answer: Dwarf Toast Towers. Still clueless, I waited until the next morning when I saw German mother that I knew spoke English too. She explained them as "layers of bread with something between them and then you cut the sides at angles." I just put my name at the bottom next to Eingen Ideen, My own idea.

Since Fasching is kind of like our Halloween in many ways, and Gummies are a big deal here, I thought we could do the Oreo dirt udding with gummy worms burried in it. When Erik asked about bringing something sweet, the language was difficult so he started babbling about desserts and what not. Frau Noori, said "You bring fruit." Errgh. Not what I had in mind. So I decided to do mini fruit pizzas, even though I was very nervous that they would be angry that I sent something so sweet. I was really relieved when Erik said there was a lot of distractions with all of the little fairies and the teachers were dressed as hexen (witches) so the sweet little treats were just slid in.

Fasching will not end until Tuesday, and there will be parades all over! I plan to take the kids to the one downtown Heidelberg on Tuesday, and expect it to be quite the cultural experience.

While I am updating my posts, I want to give everyone an update on our Graham. He has just completed his second full week of 3rd grade. Though he misses his second grade teacher Mrs. Peterson, he really likes his new class and is enjoying Mrs. Williams. He is also adjusting to his new work load and getting caught up with the other 3rd graders with the instruction that is all new to him. Since I have been substituting at the school, I have been lucky enough to get to join him for lunch lately. His evenings are busy with piano, cub scouts and his basketball team, where Erik is his coach. Even with his busy schedule he is working very hard and making us very proud!

7 comments:

Mom in High Heels said...

Are you still finding confetti everywhere? I've vacuumed 3 times, but every time we put our jackets on (or take them off) more confetti falls out. :) Loads of fun though, huh?

Hoosier Vagabonds said...

Yes! It is all over the floor, in the closets and stuffed in random crevices of clothing that we had on that day.

Amanda said...

I feel vaguely stalkerish doing it, but Mom in High Heels said to come leave you a comment so I am. I am also a Hoosier in Germany--how funny! We live in the Ramstein area, though. :)

Anne said...

I just followed the link from Mom in High Heels (like any good blog-stalker would), and realized: we used to be neighbors in Grovetown! My friend Donna always talked about you and your kids. I think we met through her once, if I remember right. It's a small blogger world, I guess...;o)

Hoosier Vagabonds said...

Amanda - Don't feel stalkerish. I actually met Mom in High Heels by blogstalking her last year! I sent her a few messages asking her about living in Heidelberg and such. Then when we were in-processing here, she recognized my son (he's pretty easy to spot)and I randomly on our way to the post office. Now we are real friends too! What part of Indiana are you from?

Anne - So funny! I remember "My friend Donna" talking about her friend Anne a lot! Do you follow Donna's blog?

I need to thank Mom in High Heels for sending a few people my way, now I am totally obligated to get blogging (consistently) again! I did just post one from the end of August!

Amanda said...

I was born in Frankfort, IN but graduated high school in a little town outside of Bloomington. How about you?

(Please excuse the lateness of my response. My husband took 3 weeks of leave and I am just now returning to the blog world. lol)

Hoosier Vagabonds said...

I am from Liberty, near the Ohio state line. My husband is from Boonville, way down by Evansville. Small world...We miss home and love making fun little Indiana connections!